What is the Liebster Award? It’s a blogging award shared among the blogging community to help introduce you, our gentle readers, to new blogs of interest. And it’s also to help you get to know me, your humble host here at Home Garden Joy.
Here are the rules…read on, it’s fun!
Here are the rules :
- You have to link back to the person who nominated you.
- You must answer 11 questions given to you by the person that nominated you.
- After completing these questions you must nominate 11 bloggers with under 200 followers, and give them 11 questions of your choice.
- You must not nominate the person who nominated you.
- You must let your nominees know that they have been nominated and provide a link to your post for them so that they can learn about the nomination.
- Why and how long ago did you start blogging? I started blogging in September 2007. I wanted to write about the major lifestyle change I was going through – moving from the New York City area to a very rural place in Virginia. I wanted to share all that I was learning and doing!
- What is your favorite craft or home decor store? Lib’s Place in Rice, Virginia. It’s got something for everyone!
- Is there something you learned late in your blog journey that you wished you knew before? Yes – that pictures can be optimized for search engines. I “knew” it in the back of my mind, but forgot to apply it to my own blog.
- What is your favorite past time other than blogging? Gardening!
- How many hours per week do you dedicate to your blog? At least 5, sometimes more. I also run three other blogs in addition to writing for clients and marketing agencies, so it’s busy here!
- What category of blog posts do you enjoy the most? DIY crafts and recipes. I’m all thumbs when it comes to crafts, so I live vicariously through others.
- Where does your blog inspiration come from? I try to remember the kinds of questions I asked when I started gardening, and then I go from there. I also take a lot of my own pictures and use them as inspiration.
- What is your favorite post that you have written? My memories of 9/11, mostly because it was so personal and brings me right back to that day. I was in New York City a few miles away and lived through 9/11 first hand. Many people write to me and thank me for that post.
- Is there any post that you have been planning to do, but kept postponing for a while now? I keep meaning to photograph a step by step tutorial on how to clean a cast iron skillet. My husband’s great-grandfather was a chef at a famous restaurant, and we inherited his cookware, including this gigantic, beautiful cast iron skillet. But it really needs to be cleaned and reconditioned. I’ve looked up the steps, but I have to get myself psyched up to tackle that project.
- How did your friends and family react when you first started your blog, and what do they think about it now? My family thought it was stupid. I think they still do. But I enjoy it.
- Which blog post of mine do you like the most? I liked your recipe for moussaka!
Jeanne Grunert is a certified Virginia Master Gardener and the author of several gardening books. Her garden articles, photographs, and interviews have been featured in The Herb Companion, Virginia Gardener, and Cultivate, the magazine of the National Farm Bureau. She is the founder of The Christian Herbalists group and a popular local lecturer on culinary herbs and herbs for health, raised bed gardening, and horticulture therapy.