|Image source: Clarita, Morguefile.com|
Crock Pot Ham and Vegetable Soup Recipe
To make this soup, make sure you have plenty of leftover ham available. It should be cooked and trimmed with all the fat removed. Dice it up and set aside 2 cups of ham.
- 2 cups of ham
- 2.5 cans of low sodium chicken broth (about 35 ounces)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- 1 cup of diced, peeled carrots
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasonings
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (you can substitute pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce too – just use whatever is open in the fridge)
Jeanne Grunert is a certified Virginia Master Gardener and the author of several gardening books. Her garden articles, photographs, and interviews have been featured in The Herb Companion, Virginia Gardener, and Cultivate, the magazine of the National Farm Bureau. She is the founder of The Christian Herbalists group and a popular local lecturer on culinary herbs and herbs for health, raised bed gardening, and horticulture therapy.